Fudge Chocolate Brownies:
- 3/4 pound (12 ounces) (340 grams) semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (can also use 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (95 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 gram) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter (or spray with a nonstick cooking spray) an 8 inch square (20 cm) baking pan. Then line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
Melt the chocolate and butter in a large heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk (can use a hand mixer) the eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract until frothy. Fold in the melted chocolate mixture.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt and then fold into the chocolate mixture until combined.
Pour into your pan and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with lots of moist crumbs and the brownies are just starting to pull away from the sides of the pan. You will notice that the top of the brownies will be dry and slightly cracked. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for a few hours so the brownies have time to become firm enough to cut. Serve at room temperature or chilled. These brownies can be frozen.
Makes about 16 large brownies.